Monday, June 13, 2011

Wondrous Strange, Book Review

17 year-old Kelley Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what she thinks... In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelley's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye.

Wondrous Stranger (Wondrous Strange #1) by Lesley Livingston 
ebook, 336 pages
Published December 2008, by HarperCollins Publishers
REVIEW:
Wondrous Strange is my entrance to the faery world. I've never before read a book faery-related and i thought to start with this one. I have fall in love with covers of the series and the story sounded promising too so why not?

As i said, i haven't read any other feary books so i can't compare with its own "genre". I did like Livingston writing style, though it wasn't something special but it was light and was easily getting to you. It had its dark and light parts. Its action and more calm scenes. It had romance too and mane new creatures and magic.

Since is the first book of the series, you don't get to know many things about the faerie world. You see some glimpses that are necessary (creatures and some history) but you don't get to see the world itself since it's forbidden to go there.What impressed me more, was the unusual character of King Winter. He was in some way both good and bad. And when is was reading about him, was the closest i could feel to this magical world.

The characters were okay. You weren't get much of their pasts but mostly where get to know in the present where the story played. I did want to learn more about Sonny while Kelly didn't get my attention so much. She didn't stand our for me, as a character to remember.

I did enjoy the book. I don't know if the right choice for my first book in faerie world since it didn't impress me that much, but at the same time it made me interested to look out and give a try to the rest books too. Maybe this kind of stories, are not for me after all.

4 comments:

  1. Like you I did enjoy the book, but wasn't so impressed. On the other hand, a YA novel dealing with faeries that I really loved is the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've hear about Wicked Lovely! Thanks for telling me you liked them more. I will push them up, in my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, should I say that Wicked Lovely actually contributed to my hatred of fairies? Hopefully you like it more than I did. I haven't read the Wondrous Strange books, but I have read The Iron Fey and THAT is a fairy series I can get behind! Especially the third book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay girls...don't do that. You are my 2 fav reviewers..you are not helping right now. LMAO!!

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...