Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spotlight List: Fantasy Movies

Spotlight List is a totally awesome meme by Small Review, and its actually one of the things that grows my TBR every week. Every  week, we create a theme and then we do a top list on it. Small Review already has Spotlight Posts about Fantasy, Gothic, Historical Fiction, Retold Stories you might want to check out.
Every week, one of us will pick a theme and create the list. Then everyone will comment on this list!

The guys only know the comments from the person who picked the theme and did the choices. They haven't seen the rest.

Spotlight: Fantasy Movies
by Yiota



Lord Of The Rings (Also available in books: LOTR Trilogy)
Yiota: Probably the best epic fantasy movie out there. Surely the best book adaption. And for me one of the best adventures and most wonderful worlds ever. Characters, places, music, effects, actors....what is it to not like?
Johnny: Although it is nothing special in terms of epic wowness in fantasy terms, the way the magical part blends with the "normal" part makes this world a place where you can actually say that people COULD live there. Not to mention that the Nazgul are probably one of the most epic/scary bad guys EVAH
Silvestro: I tottaly agree. It is the most epic, intresting, fun, awesome and some other things movie that exists so far. I am sure that many attempts will be made to surpass it but they will fail because seriously, who can top that ?
Nina: One of the best, I agree on that. Fantastic places and buildings. Actually, I don't have further words....
athanasia: it is by far the best book adaption ever, I loved the movie. The world that Tolkien imagined is so detailed and so well constructed..

Pirates Of The Caribbean
Yiota: I have this poster on my wall! Yay! Pirates, ships, magic, skeletons, treasures, action, ladies, war...My fav pirate ever: Captain Barbossa! Maybe it loses the exact concept of pirates and piracy in general but it is good isn't it? It's funny with action, romance, evilness. Another great soundtrack and amazing job at special effects and acting. :)
Johnny: I have conflicted feelings for those movies. The first for me is the best because it is more Piraty then the rest. The first has everything we imagine about pirates. The treasure, the curse, the piracy, the lady everything. The rest...well the rest are just epic movies that just happen to have pirates in em. But the first....the first is the only one of the movies that claims the title Pirates of the Caribbean with the full meaning of the phrase.
Silvestro: Wow very nice movies in this spotlight. Ok this movie is also very well shot, it has an intresting story and effects and fighting choreography but what really made me love it was the acting, Jack Sparrow is just perfect and you know what do I think of Keira Knightley...
Nina: I love the movies, and the stories are really good and funny and creepy in many moments. If there is something I really like, these are the lifestyle and the clothes....
athanasia: an other example of a great “world”, they created the perfect combination of known myths and new additions and the result was amazing.


The Princess Bride (Also available in Book: The Princess Bride)
Yiota: I've watched the movie just some weeks ago and i totally loved it. It's the oldest movie in this list (1987) but one of the bests! A fairytale with lots of love, evil guys and LAUGHS! It's soooooo funny! The characters are amazing and i can watch it again and again and again. It became one of my favs instantly.
Johnny: seriously? you put this in fantasy movies and you dont have Dragonheart or the Mummy?? really?
Silvestro: I'm terribly sorry but I haven't watched it yet even though I already have it somewhere here XD But I think it is a nice movie from what I have heard.
Nina: I haven't watched this one, so I cannot really tell you my opinion....

The Princess Bride Review


Stardust (Also available in book: Stardust )
Yiota: Another fairytale! The best love stories are the ones with action XD I have watched it some thousands times i think. The whole thing with the royal blood and the ghosts, the stars, the witches, the funny pirates. It's light but really cool adventure full of magic.
Johnny: WITCHES! WITCHES! they were evil and I hated them, but they were WITCHES! And De Niro! OH and funny ghosts! and a badass evil guy! and a cool protagonist. Seriously I think that this is one of the most random stories, because the way it starts leaves you going totally "ok?" There is no epic curse on the hero, no epic thing happening, *spoil* everything just happened because the dad just crossed to a  magic world and humped a princess because he could!
Silvestro: Already said that I was really dissapointed by this movie, they placed the romance in the center of the story :( But the world was cool.
Nina: I so love this movie. As I mentioned I've seen it many times and I don't care about it. It's so romantic and it's full of magic. It's a fairytale....


Inkheart (also available in books: Inkheart Trilogy )
Yiota: I think it's normal for me to fall in love with it. I mean i love books and they are the main point. The characters come to life! Plus, there is a guy who do some fire magic and calls it "Dragonbreath" so dahhh....Okay, seriously is a really good movie. It has a bit of everything and it's a really well done job. It has some differences with the book but it's one of the good adaptions out there.
Johnny: I love that actor! He is so funny and awesome!!!! The movie was extremely good as expected and I enjoyed it a great bit of deal! Definitely  worth the spot
Silvestro: Well, when I think of fantasy world movies this movie doesn't come to mind, I don't know why, it just doesn't. I liked the movie and I like the main actor in most of his movies but the world, maybe because it was in a book that it was in a movie, didn't seem real to me like other movies.
Nina: I haven't seen nor read this one either, so for once again, I cannot express my opinion....
Books VS Movies: Inkheart

Merlin
Yiota: When someone says Merlin this movie comes to mind. Who cares for everything else that come out the last years?! This is one is the good one! It's actually a Mini TV-Series but i've always watch it all in once so it's like a movie. It's one of the Merlin stories which actually take their time with the story..they don't rush it. And what a great cast too! Sam Neil, Helena Bonham Carter, Miranda Richarsdon! Love!
Johnny: I absolutely love this movie! The story, the acting and especially the soundtrack.
Silvestro: Nice movie again. It shows the legendary world of Camelot and Avalon with an eary and magickal feel. And finnaly Merlin is not afraid of using magic.
Nina: I've seen this one recently and I have to admit that I liked it. The cast is amazing so it's the story and the places. I like to see it as the "true story" and that all the other series or movies are copying it or translate it a diffirent way. That doesn't mean that I don't like other adaptions, but this one is older

Your Choices


The Fifth Element
by Kristen @Seeing Night
I chose the Fifth Element because of the world that was created. The futuristic world with unique and unusual alien species was brilliant. My favorite was the opera singer; she was such a beautiful and amazingly designed character that was really well created. Plus you have LeeLoo played by Milla Jovovich who is just kick butt and paired with the awesome Bruce Willis aka Korben Dallas, their chemistry just sizzled! Then you add in the cruel and selfish Zorg whose odd attire just suited his villainous self. Overall the humorous Chris tucker, along with lots of action, beautiful CGI and acting its a classic fantasy favorite! Who does love this movie! :)






The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (Also available in books: The Dark Is Rising Series )
by our own Silvestro:
I watched this movie some years back and I really loved it. It had great backstory, the character and their fantasy abilities really made me want to be part of the movie and the main hero was just an ordinary human that happened to have a great destiny.













The Voyage Of The Unicorn
by our own Silvestro:
I watched this movie on TV some years ago and I loved the story, the characters, the acting but above all else the world and its mythological beings that this movie presented with a tottaly different view. For example, Medusa was just a misunderstood beautiful lady that was too angry because noone could see her beauty.












What's your favorite Fantasy Movie? :)
Fill the FORM with some classic disturbing "teen" movies for the next spotlight!
Small clue from ours? Not Another Teen Movie..American Pie...Yours?

4 comments:

  1. I like almost all the movies on your list, but LoTR, I believe, beats them all. I love the movie as much as the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on The Princess Bride, but as long as we're on the subject of my childhood, I would have to add Labyrinth & The Dark Crystal (CGI is great, but I miss the muppets); Ladyhawke (just a gorgeous story); Dragonheart (still the best dragon I've seen on screen); Willow (Val Kilmer's greatest role); and the original Highlander (the sequels to which proved there really can be only one).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this spotlight! Im such a science fiction fan :)Who doesnt love the Princess Bride such an awesome movie. Thanks for posting my choice for The Fifth Element :) I love that movie so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Misha: you should see what i bought this week!

    @Sally: wow! I know only Dragonheart & The Dark Crystal from those!

    @Kristen: more Princess Bride love<3

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...