Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Every Shallow Cut by Tom Piccirilli : Review

About: He's nameless, faceless, and has nothing left to lose - and now he has a gun! Alone except for his beloved bulldog, Churchill, a man who's failed at his career, his marriage, and his own simple hopes makes his way across the American landscape and the spectacle of his own bitter past, heading home to his brother when he knows there's no home left for him.
Tom Piccirilli brings us a story for our current struggling times, taken directly from a broken heart. It is full of realism, grit, and a depth that gives voice to the fears most of us can barely imagine. The terror of loss, the overwhelming dread of failure, the horror of missed-out, mediocre dreams. And the all-too average explosive rage.
Review: One day I got a call from my friend Yiota asking me if I was interested in a book she thought I might like, so I told her to e-mail me the summary. Without even finishing I told her that I was interested. When we received the book for review I couldn't wait to devour it and thank God I was lucky because I was just finishing “The Schopenhauer Cure” so I started immediately.

First of all the book is about a man who has lost everything, he lost his house, his wife, his savings, he has nothing left and nothing to lose, the only thing he cares about is his dog Churchill. From cover to cover we see his frustration, his disappointment in people, in life, the whole book is a constant struggle for him. Generally the protagonist appears to be very rough but in certain chapters we discover his soft side too, like when he talks about his childhood, about his big brother, about his first girlfriend, our hero is sensitive after all...

When I started reading the book I was not that exited because the protagonist seemed a little unreal, but after two or three chapters I just could not stop reading, Tom Piccirilli has a unique way to keep you so interested..

The books starts with a very intense scene, when the protagonist gets' attacked by a group of boys, this scene is a key for the entire story because after, he decides to buy a gun. The agony is so intense about whether or not he is going to to fire it in almost every scene (yeah you guessed right, many people pisses him off). In one of the chapters he goes to his ex-girlfriends' house and he is thinking of the two of them having sex, seriously it is one of the most intense, image creating sex scenes in books!

Finally there are not many things that I did not like, the only things that bothered me were his rough personality sometimes and the fact that in certain moments it was a little confusing when he was imagining things.



To sum up it is a fast and very intense read, I recommend it by all means.


Thanks Tom Piccirilli for providing a copy of the book.

5 comments:

  1. You liked it! That's good!
    Thanks for the review Athanasia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book but from this review I gather that the main hero is a guy that gets bullied a lot so he buys a gun and he draws power from it even if he isn't using it, sort of like a placebo effect, and that shows the inner power that every human has but only a few know how to tap into it.
    I would like it more if he learned martial arts and kicked some butts but I think that's the manga fun in me speaking :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Silvestro: i agree with you about the part gaining power from the gun, it is a very good point.

    it is like the cookies i am baking for you, you don't know what is in them, but you need them before every batle ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good and normal....I need more normal books....Thnx for the review....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

There is lot of spam lately at the posts, so for a while i will put up the comment moderation. Sorry for that, i really don't like it but i thought it might stop the spamming. It will be down soon enough! Thanks a lot :)

© Splash Of Our Worlds. The content of this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
Creative Commons License
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...